Today's word is: anfractuosity
/an*frac'tu*os"i*ty/ noun
The state of being anfractuous (yeah, like that helps), or full of windings and turnings; i.e. spires on a horn, or roads near cliffs.
Like a road full of hairpin turns, the mystery was full of anfractuosities.
~~~~~~~~~~
Enough about my mood....
I have been doing a lot of reading in the past few days. I love to study. The Bible, Dictionary, Encyclopedia, the Harry Potter series, whatever book I can get my hands on. I love to have discussions with people who read the same things, and actually think about what they have read. Ideas get stuck in my brain, and I have to express them, generally in writing. Usually, I make notes in a binder, and either tear up the paper (the angry writings) or keep it forever, to clutter up my house and make me wonder what I was thinking.
Today's ramblings were inspired by Niki's miracle story. Go check out her Journey blog (there is a link on the left side of my front page). She expressed sadness that the people who raised her (religious family) told her that the miracles died out with the Apostles. I was brought up with this notion as well. Now, I think the reasons for those early miracles are no longer valid. The Apostles were given the power (I believe THAT power was given to the Apostles, and only the people they laid hands on to pass it on. That bit of power DID die with the Apostles) because they were spreading the Gospel to a world that could not read the Bible for themselves. The miracles were performed in public, to glorify the God who was offering salvation to the masses. I think that the frequency of the miracles is no longer necessary, either. Any miracle can be done at any time, with the approval of God, but we no longer need to have public forums with multiple miracles in order to share Jesus.
Now, having said all those classic ideas, I agree with Niki that I (we humans) have no right to limit God's power. I do not want to express hubris by telling others that miracles are not possible anymore. God's power has not changed. The God who created the "laws" of physics can just as easily rewrite DNA, clear leprosy, remove tumors and allergies, and relieve physical distress. The fact that I do not have the faith enough to bother to ask Him to do it is not a limit on God's power, but on me.
I have said for years that the churches I grew up in didn’t seem to believe that the elders could pray and lay on hands, and that they could really bring about healing by these things. What a sad loss to the faithful! The church has missed out on a great power. In all my years in the churches of Christ, over 5 states I have lived in, through 8 congregations I have been an active part in... I have never seen, or even heard of, an elder in the church going to visit the sick, anointing the person, touching them and praying over them. The elders go visit, and pray, and sometimes touch. But the anointing is overlooked.
James 5:14-15 (New American Standard Bible translation) ~ "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him."
I think that the practice of anointing has fallen out of popularity. I see this New Testament verse as a direction. It is the responsibility of the elders to do, but also the responsibility of the church members to call the elders. In Niki's story, there is no mention of anointing, but only prayer. God is powerful, and I believe that the hearts of the petitioners were pure in their request to God. I see that anointing is not the only component, but it is the one that I know the least about, so I decided to research it.
When the Bible talks about anointing a King, or things in the Temple, there is an Holy Oil mixture. There is a recipe in the book of Exodus. It speaks of fine spices and the measure of olive oil. The Holy Oil is supposed to be very fine, the work of a Perfumer. This is not to be any run-of-the-mill oil. Like tithes, it is to be made of the finest ingredients, the best of what we have. However, there is a warning. Exodus 30:33 ~ "Whoever shall mix any like it, or whoever puts any of it on a layman, shall be cut off from his people." So this is not the oil intended for anointing a sick person.
Most of the "oil" references in the Bible, that I have found anyway, are speaking of Olive oil. It seems that Olive is a good "carrier" oil, that works well with other scents, and does not overpower the spices used with it. Almond oil tends to have its own (while usually sweet) aroma, and the mixtures would smell differently. There are many spices, fruits and essences that are mentioned in the Bible. Cinnamon, Myrrh, Frankincense, Henna, Rose, Lily, Apple, Grape, Fig, Pomegranate, Milk, Honey, Cedar, Cypress, Dates, Balsam, Fruit Tree Blossoms, Herbs, and "mountains of spices".
I had trouble finding any example of anointing oil recipes, other than the Holy one. It seems that the oil itself is good. I need to research the customs of the Jews, hoping that they have a "common man" oil recipe. I have seen bottles of "anointing oil" that are used by others, in places like Mardel and Cokesbury (local Christian supply stores).
I have not completed the research I wish to do on this subject. Please do not think that I have made any definite findings. I don't want anyone who reads Niki's story to be critical. Her son is healed. God did it, and God gets all the glory for it. Humans asked for it, with fervent prayer. In her post, she quotes a Scripture in reference to one healing Jesus performed.
Mark 9:24b ~ "I do believe; help my unbelief."
I am ending this open post with part of my response to Niki's story.
"We are bound by the limitations of our finite thoughts, and I think God laughs. He wants us to break out of the limitations and jump like crazy into trusting only Him. I must confess, I was skeptical when I started reading. Now, I am convinced, and convicted. God also used you to help our unbelief!
Praise be to God alone!"
4 comments:
I guess I'll need to go read Niki's post. I think our little puny minds are just not capable of understanding such a great and finite God. I believe He can still perform miracles in so many ways, but no, they are not so common as back "in the day."
I feel like I'm babbling... I'm SO tired!
Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your prayers during our time of loss and grieving. I appreciate it!
If you feel like discussing it with an elder who DOES anoit with oil, talk to Ron Bever. He goes to Britton Road.
I'm coming late to this party, so I didn't know you posted on this. I have a few thoughts...that may stretch you even further.
I hear you saying God can do whatever He wants to do. That's good because He doesn't need our belief in something to make it real. Now for the stretching part.
Benny has the gift of healing, as well as a few other gifts of the Holy Spirit. He prayed over a woman as he was laying hands on her injured foot, and she was healed - instantly. It happened, and her faith was strengthened. It was God, not Benny doing the healing, but Benny was the tool God chose to use. I watched a woman dancing around at that conference and saw Benny get choked up. I asked him why because he's not an overly emotional guy. He told me she had a broken back when she arrived. People had laid hands on her and prayed and she was healed...of a broken back! I don't believe that power was only given to the Apostles and those they gave it to, and I can't find anywhere in scripture that says it was.
"The miracles were performed in public, to glorify the God who was offering salvation to the masses. I think that the frequency of the miracles is no longer necessary, either. Any miracle can be done at any time, with the approval of God, but we no longer need to have public forums with multiple miracles in order to share Jesus."
I agree we don't NEED them in the way people back then did, because we are on this side of the cross. But maybe sharing Jesus with the masses isn't the only point. Maybe God wants to bring healing and he's just waiting for people to ask for it, and people to be used as His tools to do it. That's definitely glorifying God.
I've seen too many things to deny that God's power is being used in miraculous ways today. The lame are walking, the blind are seeing again, and the deaf are hearing again and audibly praising God.
One more thing. We have a c of c friend who was a missionary in Africa for several years. He has told us stories that he hasn't shared with many people because he didn't think anyone would believe him, and because he would lose his financial support from the congregations who don't believe God manifests his power like this today. He told us stories of arms and legs that had been cut off-growing back. Watching exorcisms performed on people who had been cursed. (Voodoo is big there) People being raised from the dead. Things that are incredibly hard to believe and even harder to understand.
Why do you believe THAT power was only given to the Apostles,etc. and why are you sure that those types of miracles aren't happening today? Or did I misunderstand?
There is so much proof to the contrary although I will say that most of these "Healings in the masses" are happening in other countries where most people don't own multiple copies of the Bible. There are healing services here in America though the more conservative circles don't hear much of them and when they do they dismiss them out of unbelief. I've soooo been there.
What if people are creating a safe theology to explain away their own lack of these experiences with God?
And how do you explain all of these people experiencing these healings? These are the things I've been wrestling with the past few weeks since the night Pete was healed.
Niki, I wanted to let you know that I have made a whole post out of my response to this. I just kept typing, and decided about halfway through that it was WAY too long to put here.
A note to you personally. Benny can heal. The Holy Spirit is with him. I will never deny the reality of your experiences.
I am still wrestling, and it is nice to know that I am not the only one. I value your willingness to share your experiences with me.
Post a Comment