I have been very political lately, and it has been quite by accident. Originally, I never intended to show my true feelings on some of these subjects. I have done a lot to keep things happy, pretty, and nice. I am quite opinionated, but I didn't really mean to show that to the whole world. I can have the opinions without expressing them. But lately... I can barely help myself. The issues have been so close to home, and so heated, I could not resist telling others to sit down, shut up and look at things from another perspective. Mine, of course!
I actually have wonderful close friends. We all have the freedom to speak, we are all willing to hear and express differing ideas, and still be friends even if we don't agree. My Wednesday night Bible Study class is doing the same thing, with people who aren't so much "friends" but my "church family"... which is more distant and yet closer. Yeah, I am confused, too. It all boils down to me being so blessed by the people I choose to have around me. If you are reading this, that blessing includes you.
Now for the dazzling intellectual, and still political, discussion of the moment.
~~~~~~~~~~
I am confused. When one protests, shouldn't it be near the people who did something that you didn't like, and who can do something different about it now? If one wants to oppose the passing of Prop 8 in California, shouldn't one BE IN California? I saw on the news on November 14 that a man and his friends were going to spend a cold and windy Saturday (Don't tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor!) protesting California's Prop 8 at our own State Capitol Building. In case you missed it, I live in Oklahoma.
I guess I am not an activist. I am certainly not a lobbyist, or a protester. I have handed out pamphlets, but that was to promote education about entertainment. The movie "The Day After Tomorrow" was pure fiction, and not very good fiction at that. We just wanted people to understand that they had just seen a propaganda film. The Theater Management was concerned that we were telling people not to come to their shows. Quite the contrary, we WANTED people to see the move, but to understand it. We were handing out fliers as people were exiting the show. I have decided not to do that again. What good did it really do? I would have just been annoyed with the person on the flip side of that situation.
I am all for self-expression. I am all for Civil Rights. I am even all for gay Americans to have a legal union if they want one. That probably surprises some of you. I cannot justify legislating my moral values on a world that denies God. I can influence gays one at a time, or not at all if I choose. If they want to stay in their lifestyle, God lets them, so I cannot stop them, by making their actions illegal or by telling them they are lost. I should not try to force the happy heathens of the world to abide by my values. Christ told us to abide by the laws of the land, so long as those laws do not prevent us from doing the work of God. So... if people in Connecticut want to allow gay couples to wed, I don't get to do much about it. (Doesn't stop me from SAYING whatever I wish...)
I think the issue in California, and all over the country, isn't that the "bigots" are out in force trying to clean up everyone's bedroom behavior. I think the grass-roots conservative voters are offended that gays want to call it "marriage". Call it a civil union. Call it whatever, except for marriage. I believe that "marriage" was designed by God. God calls a gay relationship a sin, but it still happens every day all over the world. The Gay/Lesbian/Transgender crowd already twisted the meaning of a simple rainbow (Christians will tell you that is also a gift from God), and now they want to twist marriage, too. Not fair!
Come up with a new word, all your own; be creative! Call it "egairram". (marriage, spelled backwards) Call it "Gommorage". Call it "Sodomage". It is a perversion of the union of one man and one woman that was created by God as a gift to mankind. Don't use the name God gave it, as you are denying the Will of God.
That is all, for now. I will make the next post something happier. Something with pictures. Something light. Something soon.
4 comments:
RAR! I had a comment and blooger ate it!!!
I said that I tried to argue that point.. not calling it "marriage" with an atheist and she claimed it wasn't a Biblical term but rather a legal one. We went round and round trying to "prove" when the term started but really it was pointless. I was arguing with someone who didn't even have the basic fundamental beliefs as me.
:-/
Also i saw a group on facebook called "Protect marriage, ban divorce" which I found interesting. It was really a large group of gay individuals who were upset at conservative America and said well if you want to truly protect marriage then pass a ban on divorce. I thought it was interesting, they have a point!
Rah! Rah! It's always fun to come here. :) No fluffy puppies here! I like you, Chelf. When will you be in Tulsa again?
Rach: Chip Garrett said something in class on Wednesday... sounded just like you. "You cannot legislate morality." He also mentioned a study where someone tried to ban divorce, and it backfired on them. People were legally married on paper, and having whole families with extra-marital affairs. I agree with the principle, though. If marriage is truly valuable, then it should be preserved and honored, and divorce should be shunned.
Flea: I am working on coming through sometime in the next month. I am planning a trip to KS to see Grams. I want to see her before she totally forgets who I am, and before anything really bad happens to her health and well-being. I will give you the heads up and we can maybe have lunch when I come by? You can direct me to that Thai place you said you love. :-)
Unless people feel responsible for messing up their lives/families it doesn't matter what laws or bans are placed. People will break them. I often wonder how evil this world is compared to Sodom and Gomorrah. How sad God must be!
Post a Comment