FOREWORDS

If dreams weren't meant to come true, or give you something to strive for, why would our thoughts conjure up such things?
~~ Lynn C. Conaway ~~
Those who win the wars write the History. Those who suffer write the Songs.
~~ Irish Proverb ~~
Half an Aunt's job is to harass the young. The other half is to corrupt them. I excel at both.
~~ Laura J. Speaker ~~

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Hot Cocoa With A Peppermint Stick To Warm The Soul

Word of the Post
Today's word is: loquacious
/lo*qua"cious/ adjective
To speak continually; talkative; expressive; apt to blab and disclose secrets.
I am talkative, but I am NOT loquacious. The secrets I hold are so dear, I have forgotten most of them.
~~~~~~~~~~
Any time I decide I have it all figured out, I am surprised by something small that brings me back to reality. I have always been a generous person. If I can help, I will. I offer to drive people all over the place, I pick up kids, I would give you the last bit of food in my fridge, I would empty my closet to keep you warm. It is humbling when others are willing to reciprocate.

I have a wonderful pair of new friends. They would also bend over backwards to make sure that you are taken care of, that you see Jesus in every small thing in your life. They invited us to have dinner with their family on Christmas Eve. We have gladly accepted, and plan to bring a little bit of dessert, and a few presents. I will not go empty-handed.

Growing up in a family who did not celebrate Christmas, I feel now a lot like a child window shopping at a candy or toy store. My face pressed against the glass, my breath steaming up the view, dreamy look on my face, wishing I could join in. I always saw everyone having fun trying to guess what Santa was bringing. They had huge family gatherings, and long funny stories after the New Year. Maybe it was the influence of Currier and Ives artwork, I don't know. I always assumed that happy family Christmases were picture-perfect, snow-covered, and heart-warming. Christmas was never not happy at my house, but it was not the fantasy I had created in my head.

This year, I have been allowed to go inside the store, and it is overwhelming. I don't know what to make of it all. The smells, the warmth, the love, the excellent cooking (by a man, even!) all keep me dumbfounded. I never knew this was for Christmas. These things were all for Thanksgiving in my family. I have a hard time not picking a piece of each and every kind of candy, one of every toy.

There is a storm that has dumped snow on many around us. It has given us a dusting of snow, but has also blessed us with ice... again. This time, it is not building on the trees, it is blowing in the wind. This time, we do not have the danger of losing power so much as the danger of stupid drivers trying to kill us on the roads. I wonder what it is about Oklahoma that brings out the "weather idiots". They seem to think, and drive as if, they have big SUV's that can stop on a dime.... on maybe a dry runway with no traffic. Then, they decide to try it on ice, behind me.

I have long enjoyed watching automatic transmissions sitting idle at a stoplight, knowing which axle is their drive because their wheels are spinning. Do people not know that an automatic can be put into Neutral, and will not keep uselessly trying to push the car? I learned to drive in crazy conditions in New Mexico and Colorado. I had months at a time to practice, and drunk drivers to avoid. I guess it is too much to expect Oklahomans to know how to react to snow and ice. They only see it three or four days a year. I need to get a bumper sticker that says "no spelunking". It should go next to the one we already have (not on the car yet, however) that says, "hang up and drive!"

To sum up:
1. J and L are my cool new friends.
2. I like my new Christmas experiences.
3. I need to dig up the recipe for Maple Syrup Snow Candy from the Little House books.
4. I would love to turn donuts in a big empty parking lot this weekend.

Have a good one, everybody!

No comments: