FOREWORDS

If dreams weren't meant to come true, or give you something to strive for, why would our thoughts conjure up such things?
~~ Lynn C. Conaway ~~
Those who win the wars write the History. Those who suffer write the Songs.
~~ Irish Proverb ~~
Half an Aunt's job is to harass the young. The other half is to corrupt them. I excel at both.
~~ Laura J. Speaker ~~

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Resolutions For The Faint Of Heart

Each year, I resolve to be more organized. It lasts anywhere from two days to three months, depending on the specific exercise I am thinking about. I can start by sending out birthday and anniversary cards, but by the time I reach my own birthday in May, you may as well count yourself out if you expect a card from me. It is absolutely NOT that I don't think about people, it is that I get so busy and forgetful that I don't think to send a card. Which is a disappointment to me, because I like to send out real snail mail. I think it is much more personal to get a letter as opposed to an email. And a phone call is the best.

I also get my book list started each New Year's weekend. I have a stack of books to read all the time. It is a rotating stack. I have added a new element to the sidebar. The books that are currently in my stack are on the new list. This list will change as I finish reading books, or add more to the stack. I hope to keep up with that this year. Hope being the operative word. I would like to read through the complete Bible this year. I have tried this for several years. I always get stuck in the boring books.... Lamentations (too sorrowful) or Leviticus (tedious laws of the Jews) or Numbers (I hate math and genealogies). Even Matthew and all the "this one begat that one" language gets to me.

This year, I have also resolved to get the house clean. Cleaner. To work on cleaning the house more often. Yeah. Anyway, I am off to a good start. I cleaned the shower/tub today, and replaced the broken shower head. When we were without power for five days, everything froze. We didn't have any broken pipes, because I left the water dripping, but I think there was water in the shower head, and that froze, and cracked the handle. It was leaking. So, now we have a fancy new one that we can actually change the pressure on.

Last, but not least, I resolve to blog more. I have been leaving this poor pet alone for a week at a time, and that is just not friendly. I hope to have less to say, but to say it more often. I don't know how it will work, but I want to try. I would love to include more pictures. I also plan to keep going with the words of the post.

I don't usually like to "resolve" anything; other than fights, anyway. I always get to thinking about the church song..."I am resolved no longer to linger, charmed by the World's delight...." I don't like that song too much, and I guess it carries over to the word and then to the action of resolve. To make a huge statement of resolution makes it more.... I guess, pressured. I put pressure on myself to keep the promise, and I am not very good at long termed actions. I am too lazy. I procrastinate. I am a perfectionist. It has to be just so, or it doesn't get done at all. I suppose I operate best on lists. I make a list and then check things off as they get done. I suppose I should do as the Bible says, to say, "if the Lord wills it".

Have a great 2008!

5 comments:

Niki said...

You and me both sister! I'm a great starter and a terrible finisher. As a matter of fact, I started a letter to you about 2 months ago. Maybe I should just call you?! lol

Here's a treat for you my friend:
http://www.laurasprairiehouse.com/recipes/index.html

suezque said...

Now since you have "published" what you would like to accomplish this year (and they are very reasonable goals!), you have people to ask about your progress- to keep you accountable. So its a good thing you made resolutions this year! :-)

Chelf said...

Thank you, Niki, for the link. I was looking through the books. I hadn't found it yet. That is a really nifty link! Somewhere in my massive library of lost books, I have a book about Laura Ingalls by her daughter, Rose. I also have a book of recipes from Little Women, and at least one of the subsequent books (Jo's Boys). That one gave me the idea for my honey pumpkin pie with the ginger-snap cookie crust.

Thanks for the encouragement, Suezque! You volunteering to be my accountability buddy?

suezque said...

Sure! It also helps that some of our goals for the year are similar, so we will be able to cheer each other on. Do you have a Bible reading schedule/plan yet? Let me know. :-)

Mike J. said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I am looking forward to reading yours.