FOREWORDS

If dreams weren't meant to come true, or give you something to strive for, why would our thoughts conjure up such things?
~~ Lynn C. Conaway ~~
Those who win the wars write the History. Those who suffer write the Songs.
~~ Irish Proverb ~~
Half an Aunt's job is to harass the young. The other half is to corrupt them. I excel at both.
~~ Laura J. Speaker ~~

Sunday, July 22, 2007

I Hate To Say "I Told You So"

Word of the Post
Today's word is: divination
/div'i*na"tion/ noun
To foresee, foretell; The act or art of divining; Gift or pretense of prophecy by supernatural means.
This is one of the many subjects available for study at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This is condemned profoundly in the Bible.
~~~~~~~~~~
I find myself upset. I have just spent the better part of 16 hours reading a fictional book. I have wasted an entire day of my life to find out if Harry Potter lives or dies.

I have said before that I wish I could settle myself to read the Bible with such enthusiasm.

Of course, I know that Jesus lives eternally after that nasty physical death. So, knowing the ending takes all the mystery out of the read for me.

I had a few notions that were solidly confirmed with this book. JKR had the daunting task of finishing her thoughts without destroying the hopes of the futures in fan fiction. I think she did well. I have always enjoyed these books, from the very first. I got involved during the 3rd one, when the whole of the preaching world was in a tizzy over the introduction of witchcraft and spells to the 11 to 15 year old reading public.

I am the first to tell you that I believe that witchcraft, of any kind, is named as bad in the Bible.

I am also the first to tell you that your 11 year old can tell the difference.

The spells that are named are just Latin conjugations of real words. Levicorpus, for example. Levitate, the corpse. Yep, you guessed it: this one lifts a body. Usually by the ankle. That is funny, when you think about it. The potion ingredients are mostly stuff that you could find, but will probably make a stinky and gross mess if tried in real life. Fanciful names for historical herbs that were once thought to have the magical qualities of what we today refer to as "medicine".

Legend, creatures, and mystery all crammed into a little book that only takes a day to read. JKR does much research, and most of it is accurate. There are some details that she massively messes with, to make it all fit. I am OK with this policy, as long as the messes are consistent.
~~~~~~
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Book in Hardback on Release Day: 21.50
Time spent reading the book: 15 hours 45 minutes
Sleep in the middle of the reading: 4 hours
Arena Football Game in the middle of reading: 4 hours
Bathroom Breaks and Lunchtime: 15 minutes
Still smiling on Sunday morning at church: Priceless
~~~~~~
Hopefully, I can be clean and happy on Sunday morning, and not fall asleep during the lesson.

3 comments:

Looney Mom™ said...

LOL! You know, I haven't read one single book in this series. Not sure why I just never had the desire. I watched the first movie - kinda - just because it was on and the kids were watching it.

Actually, I'm not sure I can remember reading ANY book like that recently. Sad... Well, it was a web design book last summer; does that count?

Pathetic.

KingJaymz said...

I'm not a huge Potter fan, but I have been a huge fan of Terry Brooks over the years and his Shannara series. I've been pretty depressed about the "Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" installment, and so much so that I haven't read the next chapter of books in the series.

All that said, I'm glad it ended well for you. I can sympathize.

Hurrah for local sports teams! That's awesome. I didn't know that we had a local AFL team until after they left ;_; I've seen your Redhawks play our local team a couple of times. It's fun to go.

Overwhelmed! said...

I got the 7th book on Saturday around noon. I had it finished by Sunday at 3 p.m. I loved it! I've purchased and read all the books in this series. I'm saving them for my son when he gets older.

Anyway, thanks for entering my free earring giveaway. Check back this Friday when I announce the lucky winner!